Saturday, May 30, 2009

soap box on food


I'm afraid I climb on my personal soap box too often. I have this wild idea that people actually care about all my opinions. I heard once that instead of me giving people a sip of water I put the hose in their mouth and turn it on- so sorry if I have 'over watered' anybody lately, and you don't have to read on, because unlike when you're with me and you're way to polite to tell me to shut my pie hole, you can leave my page and I'll never know!

I learned ,


If you'll remember I'm using many of the Ayurvedic philosophies on my road to a healthier me...

Once I read about how I transfer my feelings into the food I prepare it rang of truth. I feel better about serving my family a meal from a 'happy kitchen'. Weather or not the emotions while cooking actually does 'taint' the food doesn't matter, it seems so to me.

I want my family to have food made by me, not boxed by somebody else and 'prepared' by me.

First of all, I have no idea what most of the ingredients added to most foods are. They're not things I have in my kitchen!

Secondly, really- it's not that hard to prepared food from scratch! It may take pre-planning to soak beans, or boil potatoes, or roll out tortillas, but the benefits from those few minutes of work out-weigh the health risks by ingesting chemicals used to prolong the shelf life of food. (or food-like substances).

The topic of boxed cake mixes came up the other day. After not eating them for so long I found that when I do have a piece of cake from a box or something made from Bisquick my mouth usually hurts. I can't eat anything with splenda or any artificial sweetener without a metal after taste lasting for quite a while. Maybe these things happen to me because I have to be more careful with my food intake compared to the average person, I don't know.

This cake recipe is fabulous! I use it all the time, it's quick (I'll go toe to toe with anyone opening a box:-) and it's fluffy!


White Cake

1/2 C butter

1 C sugar

1 t Vanilla

2 C unbleached Wht flour

1/2 t salt

1 T baking powder

1 C milk

2 eggs

Creme butter, sugar, vanilla, mix in dry ingredients, add milk & beat 2 minutes, add eggs and beat another minute. Bake 20 - 25 minutes @ 350.


And so you can throw away your Bisquick...

Pancakes

1 C WW flour

2 t baking pow

1/4 t salt

(mix)

add 1 beaten egg

1 T honey (or sugar)

1 T oil

1 C milk


You'll thank me later:-)

3 comments:

JoEllen said...

I agree that a little meal preparation goes a long way. I do a lot of prep during nap time, or the night before the meal is "due." Sal's mom used bisquick for EVERYTHING and he couldn't understand why I would want to make pancakes from scratch (or cook them thoroughly, but that's another subject.) I think it makes him proud now though, to know that we're eating better/healthier. Plus, Little Sal LOVES to help and cooking from scratch gives us more time to do so.

Now - I agree that a cake from scratch can be just as fluffy as a box cake, but do you have a recipe for fudgy brownies that are as good as the boxed variety? That I would be interested in!

Charitons said...

I like reading your opinions Kristie! And I agree about the kitchen, though it is hard sometimes for me to do EVERYTHING from scratch. My husband has been a good tutor.

Lorinda said...

Yum, Yum, Yum! And congrats on the weight loss. What hard work and self mastery! I wish I could walk 5 miles on the greenway with you!

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved