Thursday, May 20, 2010

Stigmas

It's interesting how much I allow my stigmas to influence me.

Take for example: Cupcakes~
Growing up I thought of cupcakes as a cheap substitute for real cake, smaller pieces- no ice cream.  Eve asked for cupcakes to take to class for her birthday.  I wanted to do something different so I searched for cute cupcake ideas, there are close to 3 bajillion cupcake sites out there!  We settled on chocolate chip with hazelnut frosting topping with grated chocolate.  These babies are good!  Still miss the ice cream though...
Then there's soup~
I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around a bowl of soup or a plate of salad being a meal.  I grew up thinking I had to have a meat, bread, vegetable combo on my plate.  When I threw the cook books on the table for family council Sunday and told the kids to pick out their meals, 2 picked soup.  Eve chose a broccoli soup and Aurora choose a rainbow vegie.  They were both great, and we left the table very satisfied.
Another is southern accents~
I have a hard time connecting a southern drawl with intelligence.  The other day I was listening to the radio and they had a guest on.  She pronounced the word 'pulled' like 'pohed' (long O) and I thought maybe she was just a caller needing some uplifting words (it was a Christian radio station). Then the radio jockey said they would play another one of her songs.  It ended up being a song I liked.  I had to repent of my first thoughts.  How did I get that stigma?

Have you had any stigmas you've had to re-think?

On another note- Harrison and the twins received some awards yesterday (for grades and teacher's favorites).  Don't really agree with the premise of it all, but the kids seemed happy.
We had fun celebrating the twins 15th birthday.  Lots and lots of food!  I wish I had gotten pictures of it all, breakfast burritos, angel hair alfredo, french bread, deviled eggs, black forest cake, chocolate/cherry marbled cake, the cupcakes....It's a good thing I have a friend who wants to walk a lot lately!

3 comments:

JoEllen said...

15? Wow, everyone is getting so grown up! :)

I love cupcakes. I wish I were close enough to eat an extra. But then again, I'm not walking, so maybe it's better I pass...

Rigel said...

Happy Birthday to the twins! And all that food sounds delicious! Let me know when you make some more of those "cheap" cupcakes! I can bring ice cream!!:)

Charitons said...

No way the twins are 15 and Tawny is off to college! Wow. But I guess you probably think the same thing when you see me married with a kid : )

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved