Monday, May 17, 2010

frog and the boiling water

I think that my attitude has been on the rebellious side. I guess it's the natural stepping stone next to 'blue'.  'Red' would be a good discriptive color, I need to mellow towards a calm green or yellow, a week away in a private spa with massages, fresh healthy food, good books, and facials would help that along.


We had Stake conference this weekend. We have them two times a year and it's a very large meeting. I was able to sit in the choir for the first time in years, and poor Bill was stuck with the kids in the congregation.

There were many good speakers and I wrote down some things that struck a chord in my journal. But then there were some things that just rubbed me the wrong way too, again, I'm sure it's probably my burley attitude.



- But- I want to share something - fact: a frog thrown in boiling water will not hop out, it dies. And according to professors at Harvard and University of Oklahoma a frog put into water that is gradually being heated will escape if the container allows.

I understand the concept of the story, I know we can get comfortable in situations we've grown accustomed to through long term association. But if you want to use the frog example, make sure that people know it's not true. Otherwise the credibility for everything else you may say goes right into that same pot of boiling water and then up into steam.

I think a person has a responsibility to fully research everything that comes from his or her mouth before telling it to large congregations. I understand that some things are said so much that it's just considered fact after awhile, and I know that I am not perfect with my sources. I'm not sure why this was so irksome to me.  But now I've warmed all 3 of my blog readers and they'll know better than to use the frog metaphore...or they'll know how to drive me batty.

1 comment:

Nora said...

I hope you feel better soon !!

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved