Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Book group

Last night I went to my second consecutive book group in which I had not read the book. I go for the fun group of gals! I do try to research the books a bit before I go so I can at least talk intelligibly about some of it, like, "This book was on the New York Times best seller list." I don't know what they would do without my input!
The book they read was called Lightening Thief.
From the 20 minutes we spoke about the book out of the 2 1/2 hours of discussion I learned that it is a fun book. The author brings the Greek Gods out from history and places them in modern times. I'll have to read it someday. It's not like I didn't try, but I just could never get my hands on it.



Our next book is Northanger Abby by Jane Austin. I thought I owned that one, but couldn't find it. I guess I'll have to pay my library fines and check it out.



We're also reading Hunger Games.

I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a book I'll enjoy - once I check it out from the library...

While looking for the book I thought I had I was noticing all the amazing books I do have and have loved reading. Why can't I think of those when the time comes up to choose the next book? My mind draws a complete blank. Do you have any favs?

Since we're reviewing things, David tells me that Terminator Salvation is really good. According to the Dove Movie review there is an 'F' bomb dropped. David said it's almost unintelligible and he could probably tell us where to plug our ears. Have you seen it? What do you think?

Tawny did an AP History project and I put it here in case she couldn't get it on YouTube (which it is under tawnymara inman's ap history project-awesomeness). So I thought I would leave it up in case anybody wanted to watch it. She's a fast talker, I don't know what she's saying half the time.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Speaking of not reading the book for book club, there was a hilarious article in the New Yorker this week on that very topic. You should check it out. I cracked up at almost every bullet point.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2009/05/25/090525sh_shouts_hodgman

JoEllen said...

A great book group book (because it lends itself well to discussion) is "The Last Lecture" and I am totally blanking on the author. It's about a young professor who finds out he has a pancreatic cancer. He is asked to give a lecture and the book is about how he came up with the topics for his lecture. If you were to give a "last" lecture, what would you say to your audience? It's a griping book, and again, it easily lends itself to discussion.

Erika said...

Way to go to book group. I was just talking to a friend today who said she'd been told "The Hunger Games" is supposed to be really good. I gonna have to check that one out. I always have a hard time picking out books once I'm at the library so I have to go in with a few in mind. Have you ever heard of Good Reads? It's an online site where you can get recommendations and see what you're friends are reading. It tends to help me. OH, and I have to agree, "The Last Lecture" really is a good book.

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved