Monday, May 11, 2009

Bill's new calling

I have known this was in the works for the past month. I have been dreading and looking forward to it all at the same time. It happened yesterday. Bill was called as a counselor in the Bishopric.

"Members of the Church are organized into congregations that meet together frequently for spiritual and social enrichment. Large congregations are called wards. Each ward is presided over by a bishop, assisted by two counselors." - from LDS.org (you can read more about the organization of the church here)

I now will be the one in charge of taking Enoch out when he gets fussy (Bill has always taken over with the little ones on Sundays so I can sit and enjoy church). I will also have to get the family ready to go in the mornings since he'll be long gone before I even wake up. I will probably not see my husband for most of the day on Sunday and one or two of the evenings on other days. But those are the negative, and there are so many positives...
He has an opportunity to grow, love and serve beyond what he has already done. Anyone who knows Bill knows he has a soft heart and love for everyone. He has given away the last of our money on several occasions to someone who may be in need on the side of the road, or a rest stop. He is gentle and kind. He is strong and will be able to bear the weight of the feelings and emotions that will be a part of this calling. He is honorable and trustworthy and I have no doubt in his ability of complete confidentiality. I love that our church has a lay ministry (the leaders do not get paid). I think there is humility in accepting callings of leadership. It's not a promotion, it's just a temporary assignment and we never know where we'll be needed next. A man can go from being a bishop to a nursery assistant (that's a promotion in my book:-)!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Congrats to Bill and good luck to you both!

Lindsay said...

That is a lot of responsibility, but I'm sure that you are all up to the task. Good luck with the little adjustments it will likely entail!

JoEllen said...

Bill will be great, and you will be too!!

Anonymous said...

I feel for you!

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved