Thursday, April 30, 2009

A second look

The other day as I was walking the path toward home a group of people with a stroller and three bulls came onto the path. On closer inspection they weren't bulls, but dogs that rivaled the size of any pro rodeo beast. (speaking of pro bull riders - Go Ty Murrey!! If I watched Dancing with the Stars I would vote for you!)

The group of people consisted of two gentleman with cleanly shaven heads and colorful 'body art' strewn about their person. The two females with them didn't look too different, except their heads weren't shaven. There were a couple of kids and a baby, but I didn't pay too close attention to them because I knew I probably wouldn't have to ID them in a line up.
When I saw them a cocktail of fear and admiration swilled inside my heart. Fear, well I could probably take any of them one on one...but four to one, plus I have a wimpy dog that would be hindering my movements. But the admiration was stronger. I just couldn't picture this grouping taking their kids and dogs out for a walk on such a beautiful afternoon - and yet, there they were.
Just goes to show -We shouldn't judge! Unless you see these people in a dark alley at midnight- then run for your life - and what are you doing in that alley at that time anyway?

I was reminded of this past General Conference:
Elder Quentin L. Cook said, "Our leaders have consistently counseled us “to live with respect and appreciation for those not of our faith. There is so great a need for civility and mutual respect among those of differing beliefs and philosophies.”
It is equally important that we be loving and kind to members of our own faith, regardless of their level of commitment or activity. The Savior has made it clear that we are not to judge each other. This is especially true of members of our own families. Our obligation is to love and teach and never give up. The Lord has made salvation “free for all men” but has “commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance.”(for the whole talk go here)

1 comment:

JoEllen said...

This is a good reminder. It's not always fair to judge a book by it's cover. I find this a lot with my word. Cancer makes people equals. You would be surprised how chatty patients can be in a waiting room. People of all walks of life are affected and it's interesting to watch people interact.

Good quote at the end!

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved