Friday, April 24, 2009

Go outside and play!

Those were the words that I heard almost on a daily basis once the temperature went above 55 degrees. As the oldest of five kids I would have thought that I would have memories of all of us outside romping around, but I don't, I have no idea where the rest went. We always lived in a place that had lots of 'play room'. That's what having horses accomplishes.
Some memories are of me sitting on the ground and weeping because I couldn't either catch my horse, bridle my horse, or get on my horse. I didn't go running to my parents when these mountainous obstacles presented themselves, I usually found very ingenious ways to trick the horse into complying. A can of grain always perked her ears and brought her close enough to snag. I found that if I buried the bit in the grain pail I could pop it into her mouth while she was greedily inhaling the few bites of grain I put in there. I also found that if I poured the rest out on the ground I could sit on her neck while she had her head down eating and when she lifted it I would slide down her neck onto her back. It's amazing all the things you can do with a can of grain!
It seemed like I had no shortage of things to do outside. My siblings must have though because when I did have to be indoors for something I remember my mom yelling at them to either go in or stay out, they were letting in all the flies.
My mom was a champion fly swatter, she really got excited when she managed to swat more than one at a time. She would follow flies around the house waiting for them to land like a tigress stalking her prey.
I have particular fly who has fallen head over heals in love with me and won't leave my side, I wish I knew where I put our fly swatter!

No comments:

Loading...

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved