Monday, February 22, 2010

the 7th sense

I think moms have a special sense to know when things need to change. Like when it's time to toss the kitchen sponge that's crumbling apart and has a slight odor. Or when she sees that pair of underwear that is threadbare cotton hanging precariously from an elastic band and retires it to undie heaven (AKA trash can).


I have had the feeling that it's time to change things up with in the home and make my children more miserable by throwing completely unreasonable expectations in their direction.
I have found that nothing works great for very long, and it's long past time to change things up around here. I have now relegated all children's laundry (except Danni & Enoch or course) to be done by the child who soils it. (I know, you can try to report me to child protective services, but you'll have to stand in line - behind my children!)
As I tossed out back breaking labor assignments to my slaves...um I mean children...the question "what do you do all day?" came up. I never dignify that with an answer.
Not because I'm above answering such petty inquiries, but because I honestly can't remember. Oh I do eventually, but barging into their room at 2:30 am with,
"I change diapers, make baby food, give baths, wash dishes, make dinner (3 days a week), take the dog out, take kids to appointments, play dates, homeschool activities, study scriptures, homeschool Danni, do [did] laundry, give the stinky dog a bath because nobody else will, write letters to my missionary son, practice guitar, sometimes I shower, make lunches, rock my baby for his nap, read to Danni........"
probably wouldn't be the best idea - they wouldn't remember anyway.
So when I made up the new job chart under 'Mom' I put "lay around and do nothing" since they seem to think that's what I do anyway.

3 comments:

Mandy Vermillion said...

Don't worry, they will get used to doing their own laundry and eventually it won't even seem like work at all.

Kim said...

That's hilarious. I usually can't recall what I did all day either!

cate said...

I never know what I do all day, it's definately not sitting around, but I don't have much to show for it. And you are actually blessing your children by making them do their laundry, it's better to learn how at home rather than when they are away at college.

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved