Sunday, January 10, 2010

one down six to go

Yesterday Bill and I drove David to Columbus Ohio to the temple.

We have driven (and other people have driven) our children to the Temple on many occasions to do baptisms for the dead. But David went through for his own endowments. He came out a a garment wearing priesthood man of God!

Wearing the Temple Garment
Once people are endowed, they have the blessing of wearing the temple garment throughout their lives. They are obligated to wear it according to the instructions given in the endowment. Those who have been endowed in the temple must remember that the blessings that are related to this sacred privilege depend on their worthiness and their faithfulness in keeping temple covenants.
The garment provides a constant reminder of the covenants made in the temple. The garment should be treated with respect at all times. It should not be exposed to the view of those who do not understand its significance, and it should not be adjusted to accommodate different styles of clothing. When worn properly, the garment provides protection against temptation and evil. Wearing the garment is an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior. ~From LDS.org

As I waited for him in the celestial room I imagined waiting for my children in the Celestial Kingdom. While it's a beautiful place, and a place I can't wait to be in, it was made so much better with family! David had so many insights, he picked up on way more than I did in my first year! He is a product of a family that has always put the Gospel of Jesus Christ in top priority He is also a product of regular personal scripture study and prayer, mission preparation and service to others- and those are things he has done for himself. He has two brothers and four sisters that will be following his footsteps shortly. I look forward to seeing each of my children in that special temple room! It makes all those silly things like dishes, laundry, curfews, homework, jobs, and cleaning their rooms worth it.

2 comments:

JoEllen said...

I am so excited for those days when I'll be able to attend the temple with my kids (even baptisms for the dead.) How special and great it will be.

Good for David for being worthy and ready for such a great commitment. He will be an awesome missionary.

Lindsay said...

That is a great experience. I received my own endowment a few days before I was married. My soon-to-be sister in law had a mission call, and she received hers during the same session. Consequently we had A LOT of family in the temple with us that day. At the end of the session, when we were all gathered together in the Celestial Room, it was like getting a little glimpse of eternity. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced. How wonderful that you got to glimpse some of that with one of your own children. I can only imagine how amazing that will be.

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved