Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy 4th!


We had a very nice 4th of July. It rained a fine mist pretty much through the whole day making it perfect conditions to get some work done in our garden. We went to a friend's for a cookout later and ate some very yummy food (in her house!) and then Bill and I ran away for a bit and saw "Proposal" (movie review later). We got back just in time for Bill to drive the twins and Danni over to the school and let them watch fireworks. He came back and we brought out the radio and sat on our roof and watched them together. Harrison, Tawny and David were off risking their lives with their own fireworks at a friend's house (grrrrr).

I traveled down memory lane yesterday, back to my rodeo days. I always had a rodeo over the 4th of July weekend. We would paint up our horses and wear red, white and blue outfits for our competitions.
Rodeo is very patriotic. There is what is called, "A Grand Entry" before each one. This is how one might go (they differ from arena to arena).
First the introductions are made, stock contractors, officials, timers, etc.. the pickup men often would come into the arena forming posts.

The visiting royalty and home royalty would be announced. They usually ride around the edge of the arena waving a 'queenly' wave and line up with the pickup men.

Not me, I would push my horse full speed and lay on her neck turning my head to see the people in the stands and give them a smart salute. I did this for a couple of reasons. First - I like to show off and be different. Second- It gave me and my horse an idea of the footing in the arena for our speed events later.Then came Old Glory. At my home arena they would play "I'm proud to be an American" by Alabama. Before I was royalty I often brought in the colors to this song. I would start at a peaceful walk and slowly build up until by the last "I'm Proud to be an American" I'm running full tilt with the flag whipping beside me. Then the pledge would be said, and a prayer.

Whatever your traditions might have been or are now, I hope you had a wonderful 4th! Thank you do all who have and do serve to keep this country free!

No comments:

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved