Monday, July 20, 2009

1 year anniversary of FC

A year ago we started Family Council
As I looked at our notebook that has taken us through 365 days of discussions, fights, opinions, calendaring, advice, crying, laughing, and goal setting I realized that we have at the same time come a long way and also gone in circles.
Bill has us making weekly goals and returning and reporting on our weekly progress. Harrison is making headway on his merit badges and Aurora has been signing off YW's personal progress, and Eve has been practicing her drums daily. Danni's goals require more energy on my part, but we are staying up on some schooling, mostly. Tawny is trying to find employment. Because of Lindsay's post one of my goals this week is to make my bed everyday, something new for me! I also am trying to write more in my book and make another Barefoot Gardener video (go here if you have missed them!).
Back to family counsel...
Yesterday was not one of the smooth and joyful ones... Bill and I came away wondering if anything useful was even accomplished in the 2 hours of forced family togetherness.
One notebook worked perfectly for one year of counsels. Each page is dated and meticulous notes kept on topics discussed. It's time for a new notebook now, and I asked what we should do with the old ones...
Tawny suggested keeping them and then as the kids move out each kid can take one with them. WHAT?? What is it about them that she wants? I had no idea that they even valued these Sunday night pow wows! I guess maybe more gets done in those weekly few minutes of peace and fun(frustration and debate) than I thought.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Way to go for sticking with the ups and downs of a family council! And go you with the bed making. :)

(My word verification today is "preggo." Coincidence? I think not.)

JoEllen said...

We need to start family council...you inspire me to be consistent with the things I know we need to do.

Maybe Tawny wants to keep the binder because it will show how far she has come in her own goals?

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved