Friday, March 6, 2009

what are the 80s?


No, really, must I answer this?

I guess I have to when my children have 80s day at school. They have no concept of history, trying to combine the 50s Pinky Tuskidero (sp?) satin jacket with the cuff roll on the pants, or aviator glasses with the white t-shirt and blue jeans. It's like they've mashed the 50s together with the 80s. Of course they know the 70s, that's where we're back at now...

They think they know big hair, but no, they don't, I tried to help but yelps of horror are still ringing through the house when I explained what 'big hair' really meant. It took courage to where hair that big, collars that high, parachute pants that parachuty, and leg warmers in the heat of the summer. Pleats in the front of pants, puffs in sleeves, and the beloved banana comb (I actually really liked those, just can't find them anymore- but if I did, I would wear them!) The 80s introduced cool cars, like Transams, and cool music, like White Tiger and Heart, cool activities, like cruisin the av (OK cruising might have started earlier, but I don't think there were as many prostitutes in the 50s...) The 80s brought us Breakfast Club and Princess Bride, break dancing and everyone came from a dysfunctional family. How can I teach my children about the 80s? They have to ask me if there was color photography back then, or curling irons, or computers... well we had computers in school, those kind with the flashing green cursor, like on Lost. It's a by-gone age - gone, just like the sharock shakes McDonalds used to sell...

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Whatever happened the Shamrock Shakes? Dang, those were good!

JoEllen said...

In the 80s all those computers with the flashing green cursor were Macs! I used to love computer day...

When is 80s day? Can you post pictures of what the kids came up with?

kknox said...

Our McDonalds has shamrock shakes this month! And my mom has a few bannana clips in her dress up, I don't let her throw them away incase they are cool again someday :) BTW, you forgot acid wash jeans and Jelly Shoes, blisters for the sake of fashion.

peter said...

I remember pegging my pants, layering my t-shirts and rolling up the sleeves so both colors showed and wearing scrunch socks. But let's be honest, we're all glad big hair 80's style is a thing of the past.
Kristy

David

David
Real cool guy!

Tawnymara

Tawnymara
Here is beauty!

Harrison

Harrison
Hunky boy!

Eve

Eve
Green eyed goddess

Aurora

Aurora
Perfect in every way

Danielle

Danielle
Princess angel girl

Enoch

Enoch
Nobody is more loved